This is my last article in 2017 and I decided to write more about the upcoming year and also create a New Year gift for you.
Each year, I write my goals for the upcoming year in different areas of my life. I dedicate a diary for the entire year where I write all of my plans, goals, feelings, learnings and I use it as a place to reflect and ensure that I am on the right track. I was also born on January 3rd which gives me another reason to look back and review the year that has passed and reflect on my learnings around this time of the year.
I’d like to share the 10 areas that I look at in this article and I have also created a Wheel Of Life with these 10 areas that you can download and work on your new year goals. All the big gurus like Tony Robbins and Robin Sharma and other coaches as well use this system in their workshops, and I created my top 10 areas for this exercise that I’d like to share with you:
Give me the Wheel of Life
1) Inner-Self: This is probably the most important area of all 10. The reason being that your energy and how you feel have an impact on everything else in your life. It’s very important to take care of yourself and your energy.
I look at my own energy in 4 areas of Physical, Emotional, Mental and Spiritual and I ensure that I dedicate enough time during the day to be at my best.
The examples of this area are taking time to take care of myself, write in my journal, go for a walk, read, meditate and listen to Mona, and what she wants.
Remember that you can’t pour from an empty cup and your loved ones deserve the best version of you. Take care of yourself before taking care of others.
2) Family: This represents my relationship with my kids mainly and also with my parents and extended family. I reflect on my roles and how I want to improve them.
Am I happy with my relationship with my kids? Do I need to accept or work on a certain issue? Do I spend enough quality time with them?
It’s easy to get too busy and forget about our most important values in life. It’s important to ask ourselves these questions and take necessary steps to improve our relationship with our loved ones.
Another relationship that is important to me is my relationship with my parents. Do I visit them enough? Do I call them on a regular basis?
Family means a different thing to each of us. Evaluate this area based on your closest relationships with the people that are the most important to you. Your siblings, nieces and nephews, grandparents, in-laws, etc.
3) Love: This is focused on your intimate relationship with your romantic partner; your husband, wife, the person you love. A lot of the time we compromise on our romantic relationship as we get too busy in life; trying to achieve different goals and climb various mountains. I have seen many relationships that were destroyed while building a business or climbing the corporate ladder or just being too busy with the kids’ demands.
If Love and having a partner in your life is important to you, then it requires effort from both sides to keep it vibrant and alive. It’s exactly like a flower that can’t survive without giving it conscious attention and taking care of it on a regular basis.
The examples include date nights, talking to each other before sleep, respecting each other for who they are, expecting less and appreciating more.
I also believe that we may not need someone in our life during our entire life. If you are single and happy with that, then that’s totally fine as well. I don’t think we need someone to complete us. And when the time is right and you meet the right person, it is then that it requires effort from both sides to keep the relationship alive.
4) Circle of Genius: These are the people that you want to surround yourself with, those who inspire you, motivate you, encourage you to become a better person, push further and achieve more.
We all have an option to surround ourselves with like-minded people. Have a look at your friendships and the people that you meet the most. Do you want to be like them? The truth is that we are the average of 5 people that we spend the most of our time with. If you want to improve any area of your life, then spend more time with people who are already successful in that area.
Choose your Circle of Genius consciously by creating your own masterminds and going to the right places.
5) Wellbeing: Our health and wellbeing has direct impact on our performance. It’s essential to take care of your health and make the right choices on a daily basis. This includes simple things like what we eat, how often we exercise, our check-ups, mental health and overall wellbeing.
Make sure to keep your wellbeing as a priority in life, you won’t be able to function the way you do when your health becomes a concern. Prevention is always wiser than cure.
6) Growth: This area means a different thing to each of us. Whether you decide to learn a new language, an instrument, become an expert in a new area, or learn a skill, it’s important to grow each year and learn something new.
I personally love digital courses and learn a new skill each year. Life certainly makes us grow constantly by conquering new challenges and experiencing new things. It’s also important to consciously choose experiences that make us grow in life.
7) Business / Career: This section is important for those who have their own business or are working in corporate. How do you want to grow in your business? Do you want to enter a new market, expand your team or get promoted.
8) Financials: Financials is beyond your monthly income or salary. Have you created passive income to reach Financial Freedom? I want you to think of different ways to generate revenue that does not require your direct and constant involvement. The easiest example is owning an apartment that you rent out on a monthly basis, or owning a vending machine which generates constant income for you. The simplest way is to generate an online platform or content.
The first step is to be aware of your expenses and make it your mission to generate more than your expenses. Invest and save the rest. It’s also important to donate and find ways to help other people less privileged than you.
9) Experiences: It’s important to enjoy life and expand our horizon by experiencing new things, whether that’s traveling, skydiving, horse riding trips, yoga retreats or anything that brings a new perspective to your life.
This is a combination of fun and new experiences, anything that triggers your creativity and makes you push your limits and horizon.
10) Impact: The last area that I always reflect on and it’s one of the most important areas is the impact that we want to leave in this world. We are here on planet earth for a limited time, I strongly believe that our most important job is to leave a mark and make a difference in other people’s lives. Your impact and legacy could be helping less privileged people.
The Wheel of life and these questions are what I use to make sure that I always know where I stand and what I want to improve. Now you too can use this system to ensure that you make the most of 2018. Don’t forget to download the wheel of life below to get going.